A first-of-its-kind research study looked at how consumers buy and consume ground beef. Review the findings below to understand the factors that go into consumers’ purchase decisions.
What factors impact consumer selection of ground beef?
- When shoppers look to purchase ground beef for hamburgers or other ground beef meals such as tacos, spaghetti, or casseroles, freshness is the key factor that influences their purchase. They’re looking particularly at the color of the meat and the date code on the package.
- Right behind freshness, price per pound and leanness are the next two factors that most influence purchase decisions. With a year-round low average price, cost-conscious shoppers are often drawn to ground beef over other options in the meat case.
- After freshness and price, the third most influential factor is leanness. Be sure to stock a variety of types, from 70% to 94% lean.
How are shoppers influenced by the ground beef eating experience?
Wide appeal is an important factor in shoppers’ purchase decision hamburgers and ground beef meals. Here’s how shoppers associate ground beef with an overall positive eating experience:
- It’s prepared the way you want it
- It has great taste
- It’s provides a juicy, pleasurable eating experience
- It appeals to the whole family
- It’s (burgers) a great choice when getting together with family or friends
- It’s a starting point for a lot of great meals (for ground beef meals)
What emotional factors influence ground beef purchases? Read the rest of this article from our friends at Beef Checkoff.